Monday, November 27, 2006

Music and Words

Been listening to:
Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle (why did nobody ever tell me how awesome this record is? thanks a bunch world!)
The Twilight Singers - A stitch In Time (I love this band to death, every record is so good it makes me afraid of picking up any instrument)
Spank Rock - Yoyoyoyo (finally gotten round to this after it was recommended to me a million times, it's awesome! a great hiphop/ idm mix)
The Hold Steady - Boy and Girls in America (the soon to be biggest band on the planet)
Joanna Newsom - Ys (produced by Steve Albini, Mixed by Jim O'Rourke and arranged by Van Dyke Parks, this girl is unbelievable)
Guillemots - Through the window pane (I fall asleep to this)
Lindstrom - It's a feedelity affair (2006 has been an awesome year for club music and I'll rank this record second to all the Ed Banger stuff that came out this year)
Uffie - everything (boys call Uffie when they feel freaky hot)

New awesome music is coming out so fast I can no longer keep up. these final couple months of 2006 make this a year to remember.

Been reading:
Henry James - Portrait of a lady
Jonathan Swift - Gulliver's Travel's
Homer - Odyssee

Who has ever read anything by Thomas Pynchon? The more I find out about that guy the more curious I get. He seems such a weirdo but also something I would be totally into... any info is welcome.

Been watching:
Deadwood
I started watching The Devil and Daniel Johston (finally!!) but halfway through the disc gave up. Anyway who could burn me this?
I watched Brick the other day and I think I'm in love with Nora Zehetner now.
next up are Pan's Labyrinth and Darwin's Nightmare.

Mom: I just cut my hair, I look like a decent young man again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you like the odyssey you should check out "The Epic of Gilgamesh", if you haven't already. Or "The Aenied" by virgil. just some other awesome ancient stories with heros a la odysseus. I have some great nerdy background information and notes on all 3 if you're ever interested.

ps: ever read "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift? great stuff.

Unknown said...

I read those two already. actually I read the odyssey a long time ago but I forgot most of it by now.

I never read a modest proposal but heard a lot about it. defenitly interested in reading that.