Tuesday, August 22, 2006

BAND OF THE WEEK 3: THE AFGHAN WHIGS

This is one of my favourite bands of all time since about 95 when I saw their set at the Pinkpop festival on TV. Immediatly their raw mix of rock, r&b and soul struck a chord with me and instantly Greg Dulli became my first true rock hero, even more so than sid vicious or kurt cabain ever were. For the next two years or so I was pretty much obsessed with the band and I taped every live set on tv or radio until I got more involved with hardcore and gradually lost touch. I missed the black love album but got back into it briefly when 1966 came out. In 2002 I saw gentlemen in the discount bin and my love for the whigs returned with full force and within a couple days I bought all their albums.
My top 3 would be:
1.gentlemen
2.1966
3.black love
the older work is great too but their last three albums are defenitly the best. The video I will post here is from a song of the black love album and it's at some german fest after the release of 1966 when the band started getting smoother and smoother. They toured with a huge backing band with back up vocalists, keyboards and horn players. Watch how Greg Dulli gets some punk thrown out, it's awesome. I could talk about this band forever but I don't feel like typing so just sit back and watch. Make sure you also check out some of their Pinkpop set, it's on youtube.

No comments: